The Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation
The Cyprus Broadcasting Service commenced radiobroadcasts on Sunday 4 October 1953. Programmes where broadcast in Greek, Turkish and English.
The First Television broadcast began on 1 October 1957 and operated 5 days a week, averaging daily broadcasts of 3 hours. The service covered a radius of 35 kilometres around Nicosia, the capital.
On 1 January 1959 the CBS ceased to be a government department and was renamed the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation.
CyBC was admitted as an associate member of the European Broadcasting Union on 1 January 1964 and became an active member five years later.
Today it operates two, 24-hour domestic channels (PIK1 & PIK2) and an international service (PIK Sat) that is directed to the Cypriot diaspora.
In addition to the television channels, CyBC broadcasts four radio channels.
In its Archives, the CyBC holds material from its early days, especially in audio form.
We believe that holding material that records all aspects of the history of a region is an important and priceless vocation. What makes this undertaking acquire actual value and switch over from the theoretical to the applicative and useful level, is sharing this material with people; giving the ability to anyone who wants to acquire knowledge, to do it.
Having this directive in mind, we selected documents that cover a wide range of time, from the beginning of the political life in Cyprus, to a whole range of customs and conventions from the old days to the present. The researcher as well as any person with an unrestful mind, will be able, through this selection of documents to verge on the edges of the wide range of information and knowledge they may acquire from our Archival Collection.
Ireneos Mavrides – Archives officer